Lightly spiced red lentil and coconut soup
February 26, 2017 § Leave a comment
*Hey guys, I wrote this 2 years ago but didn’t post it because I never took a photo – I’ll make it again soon and snap a pic, in the meantime…
This soup is so lovely – creamy, warm, lightly spiced (and vegan!). Stir in some baby spinach or kale, and garnish with cilantro and you’re set! This recipe is an amalgamation of several, but this was the base, and I’m pretty pleased with the results!
- oil for pan
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger (pssst – I buy it already minced in a jar)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Spices: OK, so here I winged it and didn’t measure. But – my estimates are below. You could also just use 1-2 Tbsp curry powder.
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- pinch cayenne
- 1.5 cups red lentils
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- Saute the onion in oil until soft and translucent. Then add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add in the ginger, tomato paste and spices, and cook for a minute or so until fragrant.
- Dump in the lentils, potato, broth and coconut milk. Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, or until lentils and potatoes are cooked.
- Eat and enjoy with cilantro or spinach stirred in at the end!