Smashed chickpea and almond sandwich
January 4, 2015 § Leave a comment
I got an awesome cookbook for Christmas called Thug Kitchen (thanks Evan!). I can’t recommend this cookbook enough – it makes vegan food tasty and awesome. I made a sandwich from the cookbook earlier this week, with a few of my own alterations of course, and it was fab!
This makes about 3 cups of filling, which I managed to turn into about 4 sandwiches.
- a can of chickpeas
- half an avocado
- couple Tbsp of minced onion
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar – I used lemon juice but will try rice vinegar next time so it’s not so in my face acidic
- 1 rib celery, tiny dice (I think grated carrots would also be good)
- couple Tbps basil or cilantro
- small squirt of Sriracha
- a handful of smoked almonds. These are essential and SO good. *Top tip: if you don’t plan on eating all of this in one go, don’t add the almonds to the mix, they’ll get soft. Just add them to the mix when you’re actually going to eat it so they stay crunchy.
- salt and pepper
- Good hearty/sturdy bread
Mash all of the ingredients, except the almonds, together. Stir in the almonds when you’re ready to eat. Spread mixture on bread (I lightly spread mine with mustard) and EAT! It would also be really good on a bed of lettuce as a salad.