Lemon-y potato salad
August 2, 2014 § Leave a comment
This potato salad is fab – yes, it’s mayo based, but it doesn’t have any mustard or hardboiled eggs. It’s highly rated on epicurious.com, and for good reason. It. is. yummy. All herb-y and bright!
Adapted from here.
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes (they come in 3 lb bags!)
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (I would urge you to increase this to a cup)
- 3 medium green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (I cut them even smaller – tiny dice)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- lemon zest from a big lemon (more the better, I say!)
- Boil the potatoes. Err on the side of undercooking, please! Original recipe suggest simmering for 17 minutes but this was too long for me.
- Drain potatoes and cool. When no longer hot, cut up into whatever size you want to eat (not too small, they’ll fall apart).
- layer in a big bowl and drizzle with part of the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- layer again and drizzle with rest of vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Look, I don’t know if this drizzling nonsense was worth it, but I did it because it wasn’t hard to do.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients (mayo, herbs, celery, zest) and carefully mix/toss with the potatoes.
- Chill for as long as you can bear it.
- EAT AND ENJOY.