“THE” chili cheese dip
March 1, 2014 § Leave a comment
Fine, I’ll admit it. I love me some seriously unclassy food. This dip, while not much to look at, is probably the appetizer I make most. Why? People LOVE IT. They snarf it when no one is looking (lest they be dubbed gauche), but trust me – people adore it. It’s delicious and it takes 2 minutes to put together, and then requires ‘cooking’ in the microwave. Done and done, where’s the party?!
- two (2) 8-ounce blocks of cream cheese, room temp if possible as it makes it easier to spread
- 1 can of chili with beans (yes, a CAN of chili. deal with it.)
- 1 bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- If you want to be fancy, a scallion or two, for decoration once it comes out of the microwave
- Get a shallow large dish – a dinner plate works well.
- Smear the cream cheese on the bottom of the dish, leaving a slight border (otherwise it’ll be messy)
- Dump the chili on top and spread it around.
- Dump as much grated cheese on top as you want (at LEAST a cup, don’t be cheap)
- Microwave for 5 minutes or until the cheddar is melted. If you’re posh, slice up a scallion and sprinkle on top for ‘garnish’ once it’s out of the microwave.
You are done. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy the compliments, or more likely, just notice it’s the first appetizer to be gone.