paul’s smokin’ hot. pizza.
January 28, 2013 § Leave a comment
so, i have this friend paul. since he lives somewhere over the border into wisconsin (that’s a left at the second fleet farm), many of you may not know him. for those of you who don’t, let me vouch for the following: paul’s smokin’ hot. pizza.
i spotted this beaut on his facebook page, looking all pretty and crispy. intrigued, i asked very, very nicely for the recipe, and was rewarded with a recipe from ATK (of course), annotated by paul (swoon).
now, i think at this point we’re all pretty clear on my love for pizza, and also my struggles with long-term meal planning. for that reason, it’s not uncommon for there to be a mid-afternoon scramble to throw together dough, and i not infrequently skip a rise altogether (note: i generally do not recommend unless you are very, very hungry). but THIS, my friends, may be the solution. This dough takes mere minutes to put together, and since it boasts a thin and crispy crust, THERE IS NO RISE. not only is paul nice to look at; he’s also my hero.
for this particular take on the pizza, my dear pal jess and i went with flavors reminiscent of pizza luce’s rustler. if you’re not familiar, think a sweetened red sauce with a hint of almost-barbequed flavor. veggie style.
while i think this take was a complete and total win, i can’t stress enough the possible versatility of this structure– the quick, low-need, super-quick thin crust could just as easily be replaced with any number of toppings.
NB: ATK dubs this a St. Louis-style pizza.
makes 2 pizzas.
2 meatless chipotle sausages*
4 banana peppers (approximately 1c) or, if not available, 1 medium orange pepper
1 pint or 20 small/med shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 boule fresh mozzarella, shredded or thinly sliced
16 0z can tomato sauce (i use muir glen organic)
6T tomato paste
2c. all-purpose flour
1t baking powder
1/2c plus 2T water
2T olive oil
1. preheat 475 degrees (in the spirit of the living cookbook: if you’re me, note that your oven runs low, and preheat to 500 degrees)
2. whisk ingredients together to make sauce and set aside.
3. shred/slice mozzarella. saute onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms and sliced sausages in olive oil over medium heat. until the onions become barely translucent. 8-10 minutes.
4. mix dry ingredients together to make the dough. combine water and olive oil in a measuring cup and slowly mix water/oil mixture into dry ingredients until dough begins to come together. knead 3-4 times. (i just did this all in the bowl with my hands)
5. divide dough into two equal balls. roll out very thin until you have an approximately 12″ round. if you have parchment paper, line cookie sheet with paper and put dough on top of the cookie sheet (or slide the completed pizza/parchment onto a pizza stone if you have one). if not, lightly grease/cornmeal a cookie sheet
6. spread half of sauce over the dough, leaving an approximately 3/4″ boarder. sprinkle half of toppings over the sauce, and sprinkle mozzarella evenly over toppings.
7. bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown, approximately 9-12 minutes. let cool for a few minutes and then cut into squares.
* these are wonderful. locally, you can pick them up at the seward or the wedge co-ops. otherwise, i understand you can also order them on amazon: