Poppy Seed or Nut Roll
December 21, 2010 § Leave a comment
This is an alternative recipe to the Pecan or Poppy Seed Roll recipe that can also be used to make this kind of nut roll.
2 12oz cans of either poppy seed or nut filling
1 pkg yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter
3 tbl honey
1/2 tsp salt
3 3/4 to 4 cup flour
2 eggs eaten
1. Soften yeast in warm water
2. In saucepan, heat and stir sour cream, butter, honey and salt until just warm (115) and butter almost melts.
3. Turn into a large mixing bowl. Stir in 1 cup flour, beat well.
4. Add softened yeast and eggs. Stir until smooth. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as possible with a spoon.
5. Turn out onto a well-floured surface. Knead in as much flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (4 minutes).
6. Shape into a dough ball. Cover. Let rest 10 minutes. Divide in half.
7. Roll one half of dough into a 14 x 12 rectangle. Spread with half of the filling (one can). Starting from the long side, roll up in jelly roll fashion. Moisten edges and ends with water and pinch to seal.
8. Place seam-side down on greased baking sheet.
9. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
10. Cover, let rise until double (1 hour).
11. Bake in 350 oven for 30-35 minutes. Cool on wire rack.