Peanut butter buttercream frosting
April 12, 2010 § Leave a comment
Goes great with chocolate cupcakes, but would be good on nearly anything.
AmTestK May 2010
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
12 tbl (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into 1-tbl pieces
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter (this is where natural peanut butters don’t work)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Combine sugar, egg whites and salt in bowl of stand mixer.
2. Place bowl over pan of simmering water. Whisk gently but constantly and heat mixture until slightly thickened, foamy and registers 150 degrees on instant-read thermometer (2-3 minutes).
3. Place bowl in stand mixer with whisk attachment. Beat mixture on medium speed until consistency of shaving cream and slightly cooled.
4. Add butter, 1 piece at a time, until smooth and creamy.
5. Add creamy peanut butter and vanilla to frosting and mix until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light, fluffy and thoroughly combined, scraping bottom and sides of bowl as needed. (The frosting will become delicious fluffy frosting, just let it go in the mixer until it does.)