Triple-Chocolate Pudding Pie with Cappuccino Cream
February 12, 2010 § 1 Comment
And you can make it a couple days ahead of time. The coffee whipped cream topping would also be great with lots of different things.
- 9 whole cinnamon graham crackers (or chocolate or plain)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 1/2 cups half and half
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (I’ve been using one Starbucks Via packet most recently)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Finely grind graham crackers, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter and blend to moisten crumbs. Firmly press mixture into 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Bake until crust sets and becomes nicely browned, about 8-12 minutes. Cool.
Whisk sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in 1 cup half and half. Whisk in remaining 2 1/2 cups half and half and yolks. Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils, whisking constantly, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add both chocolates and butter; whisk until melted and smooth. Mix in vanilla. Transfer filling to crust. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of filling and chill until filling sets, at least 6 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.)
Beat all ingredients in large bowl until peaks form. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewhisk to thicken before serving, if necessary.) L
Peel plastic off pie. Cut pie into wedges. Spoon dollop of cream atop each slice (or as I prefer, just spread it all over before slicing into it). Garnish with chocolate-covered espresso beans and serve.